TRIMIS supports the implementation of transport policies at European Union and Member State level. It also helps the development and monitoring of the Strategic Transport Research and Innovation Agenda (STRIA), which outlines transport R&I priorities to achieve a more sustainable European transport sector. STRIA was adopted as part of the “Europe on the Move” package, which underlines the main transport R&I areas and priorities for clean, connected and competitive mobility, complementing the Strategic Energy Technology (SET) Plan.
In coordination with Member States and transport stakeholders, STRIA aims to set out common priorities to support and speed-up the research, innovation and deployment process leading to radical technology changes in transport.
STRIA covers the following seven thematic transport research areas:
- Connected and automated transport, supporting the development of a customer-centric, intermodal and integrated transport system aiming at greater efficiency, safety and wellbeing and environmental impacts mitigation.
- Transport electrification, supporting the promotion of developments carried out in the framework of the European Green Vehicle Initiative and encouraging multisectorial and multidisciplinary R&I activities on new materials, advanced propulsion systems and Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Vehicle design and manufacturing, supporting the development of successful marketable transport vehicles with shorter development times.
- Low-emission alternative energy for transport, focusing on renewable fuels production, alternative fuel infrastructures, as well as the impact of these technologies on transport systems and services covering all transport modes.
- Network and traffic management systems, supporting the development of an advanced multimodal transport system through the optimization of the entire transport network across new areas.
- Smart mobility and services, supporting new and emerging technologies such as electric and autonomous vehicles, drone technology and on-demand mobility services.
- Transport infrastructure, supporting the development of research and innovation, testing new methodologies and preparing the ground for future transport infrastructure policies.
Focusing on STRIA, TRIMIS maps and analyses technology trends and R&I capacities in the transport sector providing open-access information. It supports the vision of a clean, connected and competitive European transport system.