The Technology Agency of the Czech Republic is an organizational unit of the stat that was founded in 2009 by the Act No. 130/2002 Coll. on the support of research, experimental development and innovation. The creation of TA CR is one of the cornerstones of the fundamental reforms in research and development (R&D) in the Czech Republic. The key features of the reform is the redistribution of financial support from the national budget. The Technology Agency of the Czech Republic simplifies the state support of applied research and experimental development which has been fragmented and implemented by many bodies before the reform.
In accordance with the Act No. 130/2002 activities assigned to TA CR are:
- preparation and realization of its own programmes of applied research, experimental development and innovation; and realization of programmes from those governmental departments without public financial support,
- evaluation and selection of programme proposals,
- administration of functional financial support of applied research from the national budget,
- control of a fulfilment of project contracts,
- evaluation of fulfilment of objectives of programmes and control of their results,
- counselling (legal, financial and IPR) for programmes and projects of applied research, experimental development and innovation,
- communication support between research organizations and the private sector,
- negotiations with institutions in the Czech Republic and the European Union in terms of permitted public support of applied research and innovation, and
- cooperation with similar foreign institutions.
There are 7 funding programmes of The Technology Agency CR:
- Alfa Programme
- Beta Programme
- Gama Programme
- Delta Programme
- Epsilon Programme
- Omega Programme
- Competence Centres
The aim of the programme is to support the establishment and operation of centres for research, development and innovation in advanced fields with high application and innovative potential and a perspective for making a substantial contribution to the growth of competitiveness of the Czech Republic. Emphasis is be placed on the innovative potential of the projects and the sustainability of the strategic research agenda of the competence centres. Applicants commit to the sustainability of the strategic research agenda of the competence centre for a minimum of five years after completion of the project.
In connection with the main objective of the programme, which is to increase the competitiveness of the Czech Republic, the programme will stimulate the creation and operation of centres of research, development and innovation that will be innovative, competitive, sustainable, have a market potential and will centralize the research and application capacities of the public and private sectors.
The approved budget for the whole duration of the Competence Centres programme is 6,297 million CZK. The expected total expenditure for the second public tender is only 1.78 billion CZK. For this reason, the most comprehensive, competitive and sustainable projects in terms of meeting the national priorities will be primarily supported. The maximum level of support per project is 70% of the total eligible costs.