The Republic of Bulgaria is already a country with an admittedly operating market economy, holding a prominent geographical transport place at the Black's Sea western coast. A Law on Sea Spaces, Inland Waterways and Ports in the Republic of Bulgaria (LSSIWPRB) is in vigour. Presently the Parliament is discussing the Law on Amendment and Addendum of the LSSIWPRB, which gives further development to the first law's ideas.
The Law sets a macro-framework of the managerial pattern of the Bulgarian ports and it aims at implementing the most recent European requirements and criteria, including the provision of free access to the market of port services.
Practically to date the large Bulgarian seaports are managed predominantly in a traditional manner for the Republic of Bulgaria. In this time of total irrevocable world globalisation, as well as when 'the new transport map' is being drawn, a new management of the Bulgarian seaports is a necessity.
That will be achieved by developing a research programme of management systems for Bulgarian seaports, meeting customer's requirements and the actual market conditions.
The development of this programme aims at achieving the following main objectives:
- Formulation of crystal clear and transparent principles and management rules for the Bulgarian sea ports, under the conditions of:
o operating Bulgarian law and by-law normative base;
o expected and coming new Bulgarian law and by-law normative changes;
o EC requirements.
- Profile study of various groups of customers of port services and activities under the present day and future changed conditions;
- Development of algorithms and a database allowing fast and objective managerial decision-making.
The method to be applied includes the following basic stages:
- Study of the strong and weak sides of the operative management system (SWOT analysis) in Port of Varna and Port of Bourgas.
- Study of the world and first of all the European practice in seaport management, as well as EC requirements.
- Study of the existing Republic of Bulgaria law and by-law normative base, requirements and limitations, related to the problem.
- Profile study and profile development of various groups of customers of port services and activities.
- Submitting of a management system for the Bulgarian seaports, adequate to the market environment, including the necessary data base.
National budget for transport - sea transport