PREDIT 2: GT2.1
Energy and environment (thematic group 2.1)
Energie, environnement (groupe thématique 2.1)
Research stream for the improvement of environmental and energy performance of road vehicles. This research permits improved knowledge of emission continuum, diffusion and exposure.
The main directions of research are as follows:
- Effects on health and impact of air pollution on population. Medical risks linked to pollution produced by surface transport arise for a large part from their atmospheric emissions. The exact impact of surface transport on air pollution is still unknown. At the same time, of work is carried out to obtain a better knowledge of population exposure to pollutants. Measurement campaigns were implemented in microenvironments such as stations, traffic lanes, etc. Individual pollution sensors were developed to describe factors of population exposures. Epidemiological research was conducted on target populations (transport professionals, children, asthmatics, etc) as a priority with a view of developing benchmarks.
- Noises and noise pollution linked to surface transport. Works on environment noise protection represent a major issue both in the field of road and rail transport. Some research is brought into effect in relation with the 'Safety, Ergonomics, Comfort' thematic group.
- Fuel-engine-cleaning-up cycle. The main concern of this group is to look after mechanical and chemical optimisation of road vehicles. It works with priority at improving the radiant efficiency of engines and at reducing NOx emissions or particles in the atmosphere.
- New generation batteries and fuel cells. The arrival of the electric vehicle on the market represents a substantial advance for pollution reduction in urban areas and reduction of total energy cost. Work in this sub-group was related to all light land vehicles, from two-wheelers to urban buses.
See main programme form for Predit 2 for details.
Examples of projects are:
- Noise emissions of tramways: measures and effects.
- Modelling of air pollution at local and regional level in urban and peri-urban areas.
- Studies on short-term relations between respiratory diseases and urban air pollution.
- Polluting emissions from cars: defining possibilities of analysing them.
- Control of air quality: management of risk: how to measure air quality and manage the risk of air pollution, to increase awareness of
- Definition of a method to measure ammonia in the atmosphere.