PREDIT 3: G.O.7
Energy and environmental impacts of transport (Operational Group 7)
Impacts énergétiques et environnementaux
The transport sector has a high energy dependency and environmental impacts. It remains a major cause of pollution and noise and has impacts on ecosystems and landscapes. Limiting these problems is of key importance and a requirement of France's international commitments (Kyoto protocol). To achieve this goal a better understanding of transport impacts is necessary.
The challenge of this operational group is to develop knowledge on environmental impacts of land transport, energy consumption and emissions of greenhouse gases from different types of vehicles. This knowledge can be prospective or operational, and covers a very wide field with many interfaces: air and noise pollution, greenhouse effects, damage to ecosystems, human health, countryside, and land severance.
Five fields of work have been defined within this sub-programme:
- Air pollution at local and regional scales: Gaining a better understanding of pollution effects due to transport, modelling their dispersion, measuring their concentration and their impact on health, ecosystems and buildings.
- Greenhouse effect: producing knowledge and developing new tools to help private and public actors in their decisions.
- Noise nuisance: analysing, understanding and taking into account in future projects nuisance generated by transport noise on local populations.
- Impacts on ecosystems and landscapes: a very wide field and a very sensitive social issue.
- Integrated approach: putting in relation observed phenomena, perceptions and attitudes towards noise generated by transport. Developing knowledge of existing standards and regulations, developing indicators and socio-economic assessment of environmental impacts of transport.
See main programme form for Predit 3 for details.
77 (ongoing in 2002-2003)
Examples of projects are:
- ESCOMPTE: Measuring and modelling project to improve knowledge of atmospheric pollution at local and regional level (this is
also part of the 'Primequal' national French programme, which is closely associated with Predit)
- Hybrid vehicles
- EPO Auto Plus: Automotive electronic power
- Improvement of internal combustion systems of motors