Germany expects an increase of freight transport up to 64% until 2015. The most important growth of 90% is expected for cross border transport. Very negative impacts on the environment, congestion and the overall economy are the consequence. The employment policy requires the protection of working places in the logistics area and the creation of new jobs plus education and training.
Innovative approaches to optimise operative and organisational processes in the logistics area with direct impact on freight transport.
The particular objectives are:
- to avoid the need for transportation
- transfer goods transport from road to rail and water
- increase the load factor of freight vehicles
For these objectives a relative improvement of at least 10% is required.
- Prioritisation of cluster projects under industrial leadership
- Project duration limited to 3 years
- Cooperation with Austria (BMVIT - Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology)
Funding is up to 50% for industry and up to 100% for universities and research institutes.