IV2Splus was the successor of the recently completed programme IV2S (Intelligent Transport Systems and Services - 2002-06), which had three programme lines:
- A3 - Austrian Advanced Automotive Technology
- I2 - Intelligent Infrastructure
- ISB - Innovative Rail System
The strategic alignment of the IV2Splus programme was mission-oriented, addressing key social challenges in the transport sector. It provided support to sustainable structural change in the area of mobility and transport in Austria and Europe, and safeguarded and expanded capability of Austrian business and service providers to innovate and compete. Stimulation of research, development and innovation was initiated by thematic impulses. On the one hand, the latter address areas of R&D where existing strengths were upgraded and market potentials were be opened up . On the other hand, activities were essentially concentrated on in areas where the market itself did not produce medium- to long-term developments of innovative technologies and solutions to problems, or achieved this partially, due to mechanisms of the market or system failures.
The goals of the programme were to support an efficient, safe, environmentally and socially sustainable transport system the following tools were used to achieve this:
- Targeted impulses through subsidies to increase environmental efficiency and energy efficiency in transport: reduction in energy consumption, use of alternative sources of energy and propulsion systems, reduction in transport-related emissions of noise and pollutants.
- Increasing the efficiency of the overall transport system through intensified integration of environmentally friendly modes of transport in transport chains and integrated routes, improved transport organisation and reduced overall transport volumes.
- Taking account demographic change and changing mobility needs, developing safe, barrier-free transport systems and mobility solutions accessible to all. Creating new scientific-technical options and approaches to generating solutions and new fields of application in the transport sector.
Safeguarding and expanding the competitiveness of the Austrian transport sector by:
- Developing and expanding thematic leadership in innovative segments of industry in the transport sector and in selected fields of technology. Support in achieving a head start for possible advances in technology and in implementing groundbreaking system innovations.
- Driving forward interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary cooperation between business and the scientific world. Particular focus must be given to the inclusion of SMEs and on strengthening their competences and achieving critical mass in specific fields of R&D.
- A3plus – alternative propulsion systems and fuels;
- I2V – intermodality and interoperability of transport systems;
- ways2go – innovations and Technologies for changing mobility needs;
- IV2Splus transnational
- Transport infrastructure research (VIF)
Targeted Institutions: small and medium sized enterpreises (SMEs), large undertakings, Universities, universities of applied science, competence centres, research entities, single person researchers, start-ups, communities;