The Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works undertakes many activities in the research sector.
The Ministry supports research activities focusing in the fields of the environment, technology and transportation planning, that are important for the national economy and for the improvement of the quality of life.
In addition, the company 'Egnatia Odos S.A' operates under Ministry's authority having undertaking projects related to the Egnatia motorway and other projects within or outside Greek territory.
In 2005 the Ministry was replaced by the "Ministry for Environment, Energy and Climate Change".
Research and technological activities of the Ministry have the following objectives:
- Support actions in the areas of transportation planning, environment, technology, quality of life
- Road safety
- Transport safety
- Transport network improvements
- Transport infrastructure improvement
- Development of technologies
- Protection of the environment
- Integration of the economy with the environment
The Ministry supports research activities of both the Greek Universities and those of the private sector. It also supervises the company EGNATIA ODOS S.A. which undertakes transport research projects within or outside the Greek territory.
The public funding spend over six years on the above mentioned projects amounts to approximately EUR 0.86 million.