Founded in 1996, the Research Promotion Foundation (RPF) was established at the initiative of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus, to promote the development of scientific and technological research in Cyprus due to the fundamental importance of research in contemporary societies. During the first years of its operation RPF developed competitive and transparent procedures for the support of quality research projects. Through these initiatives RPF became established as the main funding institution promoting scientific and technological research in Cyprus. During the aforementioned period RPF organised annual programmes for financing research in Cyprus.
RPF’s Framework Programme 2008-2010 constitutes the more important initiative undertaken in Cyprus aiming at the growth of scientific research, technology and innovation. It is addressed to research institutions, SMEs and Non-profit Organisations.
The basic objectives are the preparation of quality projects in a wide spectrum of thematic areas, the increase of number of researchers, the improvement of competitiveness of SMEs, the creation of upgraded infrastructures and the growth of international networking and collaboration.
RPF’s Framework Programme (2008-2010) consists of 5 pillars divided into 8 Programmes and 49 Specific Actions covering various thematic areas like Technology, IST, Health, Economy, Environment, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
The Framework Programme’s main objectives are the following:
- Aiming at increasing the competitiveness of enterprises
- Strengthening research infrastructure and providing access to international research infrastructures
- Developing of human potential in research including young researchers and Cypriot expatriate scientists
- Enhancing international R&D co-operation
- Promotion of research culture
The total budget for the three year duration of the programme amounts to €170 million.
Pillar Ι: Strategic and Multi-thematic Research
- Programme "Health and Biological Sciences"
- Programme "Technology"
- Programme "Sustainable Development"
- Programme "Information and Telecommunication Technologies"
- Programme "Social and Economic Sciences and the Humanities"
Pillar ΙΙ: Development of Human Resources in Research
- Programme "Support for Young Researchers-PENEK"
- Programme "DIDAKTORr"
- Programme "Development of Research & Innovation Culture"
Pillar ΙΙΙ: Development of Industrial Research and Innovation Activities
- Programme "Research and Innovation"
- "EUREKA Cyprus" Programme
- Programme "Innovation Support"
Pillar ΙV: Development of Research Infrastructures
- New Infrastructure
- Programme "Access to Research Infrastructures"
- Programme "Upgrading of Existing Equipment"
Pillar V: International Networking and Collaboration
- Programme "Bilateral Collaboration"
- Programme "International Cooperation"
- Programme "International Networking"
- Programme "Hosting of Researchers Based Abroad"
Funding depended on the budget for each Call.