Development in modern societies ever increasingly depends on the existence of effective, safe transport networks and with adequate penetration in the territory to allow the interchange of people, goods and services in increasing volumes.
The transport sector (air, maritime or terrestrial) involves direct work for more than 6 million Europeans and, in an indirect way, for 8 million others, with an accumulated growth in the demand in the order of 2% per year (in Spain 5% of the active population works in the sector, with a participation in the PIP of 5.6%).
Spain is characterised by a very dynamic tourist transport sector, fundamental in this country. Also, the necessity to increase the distribution of merchandise in a global society requires the co-ordinated use of diverse transport means. Its future evolution must be carried out using suitable technologies that require the current R&D activities.
This area considers three strategic actions:
a) Improving security in transport.
b) Integrated management of transport.
c) Co-ordination and sustainable development of the territory.
The aids corresponding to the National Programme of Transport and Land Use are regulated by means of the Programme of Promotion of Technical Investigation (PROFIT), included in the National Plan of Scientific research, Development and Technological Innovation (2000-2003).
Financial aid to projects and actions of research and technological development can be granted in accordance with the following criteria:
a) Reimbursable advance payments:
- Industrial research projects with moderate technological development;
- Technical viability projects previous to industrial research projects, with moderate technological development;
- Pre-competitive development projects with moderate technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with moderate technological development.
- Industrial research projects with advanced technological development;
- Technical viability studies to previous industrial research activities with advanced technological development;
- Pre-competitive development projects with advanced technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with advanced technological development;
- Special actions;
- Projects and actions in the participation in the EUREKA and IBEROEKA programmes, Framework Programmes of the European Community for research, demonstration and technological development, and other international co-operative scientific research and technological development programmes.