The Programme of Promotion of the technological research (PROFIT) it is an instrument by means of which the Ministry of Science and Technology, through public help, seek to mobilise to the companies and other entities to carry out research and technical development activities.
PROFIT is integrated by the scientific-technological areas and the sectoral areas of the National Plan of Scientific Research, Development and Technological Innovation (2000-2003) whose administration corresponds to the superior organs and directive of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
The objectives of the Programme of Development of the Technical Investigation (PROFIT) are:
1. To incentivise the application of the knowledge and the incorporation of new ideas to the productive process.
2. To contribute to the conditions that favour the increase of the:
- capacity of technological absorption of companies;
- invigoration of the sectors and markets of quick growth;
- creation and development of technologically-based companies, especially those in the hi-tech sector.
PROFIT is a cross-sectoral programme involving 7 sectors most of them with specific strategic actions concerning transport:
The National Programme of Aeronautics
The National Programme of Automotion
The National Programme of Energy
The National Programme of Space
The National Programme of Environment
The National Programme of Society of the Information
The National Programme of Transport and Land Planning.
The PROFIT Programme integrates and co-ordinates all the research projects activities in the above-mentioned National Programmes in terms of organisation of the calls for projects, proposals evaluation, funding management and evaluation of results.
The aids to the financing of project and research projects actions and technological development are granted in accordance with the following criteria:
a) Advance reimbursable payments:
- Technical viability studies on previous industrial research activities with moderate technological development;
- Pre-competitive development projects with moderate technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with moderate technological development.
- Industrial research projects with advanced technological development;
- Technical viability studies on previous industrial research activities with advanced technological development;
- Pre-competitive development project with advanced technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with advanced technological development;
- Extraordinary actions;
- Projects and actions in the participation in the EUREKA and IBEROEKA programmes, Framework Programmes of the European Community for actions of investigation, demonstration and technological development, and other co-operative international programmes in scientific research and technological development.