Within the Basis for the Message on Education, Research and Technology 04-07 (BFT-Botschaft 04-07), the Federal Council of Switzerland has launched 12 federal research programmes during the period of 2004-2007. Two research programmes concern the transport sector: 'Sustainable spatial development and mobility' and 'Sustainable transportation'.
The Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE) developed in collaboration with other federal landscape-related institutions the programme 'Sustainable spatial development and mobility'.
The programme focuses on:
- Fundamentals for a policy of sustainable development
- Perspectives for a sustainable space and traffic development
- Interactions between settlement and traffic
- Sustainable land use planning, settlement structure and ways of living
- Sustainable development in agglomerations
- Regional policy
- Sustainable leisure mobility
- Spatial development and energy.
The research concept builds the fundamentals for a future department research of the Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE) and other spatial active Federal Institutes (see below). The concept will bring more transparency and will improve the planning and coordination in order to use synergies. The department research will be strengthened in matters of spatial development and mobility.
Amount not published