Augmented Approaches to Land 2
The proposed Augmented Approaches to Land 2 (AAL2) project addresses the full scope of the Call SESAR-VLD1-06-2016: Increased access to airports for low visibility mixed fleet operations. It builds upon the results from the former award winning SESAR project AAL, and will demonstrate augmented approach and landing operations based on the following SESAR solutions:
- GBAS (Ground Based Augmentation System) CAT II with CAT I airborne and ground equipment, enabling lower decision heights to CAT II minima (DH 100ft) (addresses hubs and medium size airports);
- EFVS (Enhanced Flight Vision System) to Land using Head Up /or Mounted Display, with operational credit down to 300 meters RVR in non- CAT II/III airports (addresses medium and small size airports).
A very large partnership of aviation stakeholders has been brought together for this project. Altogether this VLD project will enjoy the involvement of very relevant stakeholders, giving the project high credibility of successful execution of the demonstrations, achievable results, good external communication, and collaboration.
This partnership includes:
- 5 small/medium sized airports: Antwerp, Le Bourget, Payerne, Bremen, Perigueux;
- 2 large airports: Frankfurt and Newark;
- 6 Airspace Users : HOP !, EBAA, Lufthansa Group, Ryanair, Flying Group, and Zurich Insurance;
- 4 ANSPs: Belgocontrol, DFS, DSNA and Skyguide;
- 3 airframe manufacturers : Airbus, ATR, Dassault-Aviation;
- 2 avionics manufacturers : Honeywell, ELBIT;
- 7 regulatory bodies: BAF (German CAA), BCAA (Belgium CAA), DGAC (French CAA), EASA, FOCA (Swiss CAA), IAA (Irish CAA), LBA (German CAA);
- 3 European or Intergovernmental organizations: EASA, ESSP, Eurocontrol;
- 1 Instrument Flight Procedure Expert: DLR.