This proposal responds to the call of Clean Sky 2 JTI-CS2-2017-CFP06-AIR-02-42, Layup tools for net-shape AFP-manufacturing of geometrically complex helicopter side shell sandwich-panels.
The objective of this proposal is to develop, design, manufacture and deliver to the Topic Manager facilities suitable tooling’s to perform AFP (Automatic Fibre Placement) lamination and transfer uncured complex sandwich part of the side structure of an innovative helicopter.
Different tool materials and configurations will be developed to meet requirements of the call.
In particular, possible effectsof uncured material and sandwich core on AFP lamination will be investigated and the transfer of uncured bond assy from lamination to cure tool will be developed. Deformations like warpage and shrinkage will be investigated by subscale test. According to the call, if necessary on the basis of process selected by T.M. the cure tool auxiliary for lamination of inner skin of sandwich parts will be provided with a suitable handling device to move the skin on cure tool.
In addition, all the necessary auxiliary tools, including templates, will be provided to support lamination, handling and post cure operation.
Several of the tool material and configuration options will be evaluated by performing selection based key requirements like:
- Low energy consumption in tool and part fabrication
- Use wherever possible of green or recycled materials (like Recovered Uncured Prepreg Scrapes)
- Possible reuse of tool material/component
The opportunities for innovation are:
- Unusual architecture of the aircraft (rotorcraft with a specific architecture)
- Optimized tooling for AFP lamination of complex shape.
- Development of innovative approach to laminate sandwich panel by AFP
- Transfer of uncured bond assy to cure tool without wrinkles and fibre distortion.
Proponents of the project have a wide knowledge of fabrication of composite materials and processes, and in addition, an awareness of the advantages and disadvantages that each choice may entail. The know-how of the proponents will be fully shared with TM, in order to reach the agreed goals.