While the NSR deals with the effects of climate change, transport-related CO2 emissions continue to increase. The NSR has potential for innovative transport strategies which could improve the economic performance of its regions and cities in a post-fossil economy. Transnational collaboration will be used in terms of building political support and momentum, as well as in concrete terms of establishing uniform standards and infrastructure across the region.
CARE-North has developed and will implement innovative carbon reduction strategies for urban and regional transport to maintain and improve accessibility in a more carbon-responsible way, and to make the NSR dominant in carbon-efficient accessibility.
- Supporting global, EU, national, regional and local political objectives in transport/accessibility
- Reducing oil consumption by increasing efficiency and using low carbon, regional and renewable fuels
- Stimulating local production of alternative fuels
- Increasing efficiency of existing vehicle technologies
- Supporting Green Paper on Urban Transport (New Mobility Culture). Strategies: Car-sharing, mobility education, mobility management, spatial development on PT corridors and intermodality
- Calculating CO2 reduction and fossil fuel use and scaling up for larger applications
- Electricity for e-mobility from renewable and regional sources. Link to North Sea Region wind energy and other projects
- Influencing citizens’ and businesses’ transport and supporting EU Directive on purchasing services and vehicles
- Addressing low-carbon transport to local, regional, national and EU decision-makers, media, citizens and business and paving the way to broader implementation
- Demonstrating low-carbon and post-fossil mobility options and exposing North Sea Region-based services and technologies to wider markets
- Political recommendations Documents: Postcard backside Postcard "buy a cruise liner or a cruise?" Postcard "buy a lorry for a move?" Postcard "buying a church for a prayer?" Postcard "buying a parking garage when in need of a parking space?" Postcard "Buying a school for learning math?" Postcard "buy a cow for a glass of milk"
- WP9 Fact Sheet - Message from the North Sea Region to Rio WP8 Fact Sheet - Carbon Budgets and Compensation WP6 Fact Sheet - Low carbon fuels and propulsion WP5 Fact Sheet - Electric vehicles for low-impact mobility WP4 Fact Sheet - Assessment of economic and ecological impacts WP3 fact sheet: Transnational workshop on transport and CO2 emission with Wuppertal Institute NEHLSEN results overview on Diesel-Hybrid waste vehicle test Docherty report: delivering lower carbon urban transport choices RGU COBRA report on Public engagement and participation in sustainable transport issues CARE-North brochure Carbon methodology developed by RGU for Aberdeen City Council Backwell report on public sector readiness and public engagement in carbon responsible transport strategies For more information please see: http://archive.northsearegion.eu/ivb/projects/details/&tid=105&back=yes