The C-ALM AOHE project will design, develop, manufacture and test a compact air-oil heat exchanger for next generation geared VHBR/UHBR turbofan engines. The work will include:
- Design a C-ALM AOHE incorporating novel geometry and construction with step change technology attributes
- Create a thermal model of the proposed design using computational techniques
- Build a thermally representative C-ALM AOHE
- Performance test the C-ALM AOHE concept and validate the thermal model
- Refine the C-ALM AOHE design and build an optimised C-ALM AOHE
- Test and validate the C-ALM AOHE in line with the Topic Manager's requirements
The C-ALM AOHE project will deliver a fully validated air-oil heat exchanger to TR 6, MCRL4 and MRL6 with a heat load of 80kW and a dry weight of significantly less than 10kg that can directly flow into follow on flight demonstrator and NPI programmes.