X2RAIL-5 is the 5th and last proposal of the Shift2Rail members in the IP2 “Advanced Traffic Management & Control Systems” domain and it aims to continue the research and development of key technologies within the following Technology Demonstrators (TDs):
- Adaptable communications (TD2.1): The aim is to test into field trials and validate the adaptable communication system demo taking into account specs and guidelines coming from X2Rail-1 & -3.
- Moving Block (TD2.3): The objective of the Demo is to define a Moving Block signalling system, which is applicable across all railway market segments. The scope is to refine the results specifications developed in the projects X2Rail-1 & -3, implement a Demo and include the results in material for 2022 CCS TSI.
- Fail-Safe Train Positioning (TD2.4): The objective here is to introduce improved fail-safe train positioning function for ERTMS/ETCS through the application of GNSS and other new technologies as well as other on-board existing sensors. Based on the outputs of X2Rail-2 and other previous projects, demos will be tested in lab and on site.
- Zero On-Site Testing (TD2.6): the action will finalise the general architecture, the communication model and will as well perform validation in a testing environment in order to complete the work started in X2Rail-1 & -3 to support automated lab test.
- Formal Methods (TD2.7): The objective is to build upon work in X2Rail-2 and pivot to a system of systems perspective and to define a demo linked to LINX4RAIL and its successor (S2R-CFM-IPX & CCA-02-2020).
- Cyber Security (TD2.11): The objective is to complete and validate the work done during the projects X2Rail-1 & -3 through:
- completion and assessment of the demo
- validation of the proposed CSIRT/ISAC model
- assessing the protection profile approach from X2Rail-3 through an integrated technology demonstrator (TD2.1 & TD2.11)
- Integrated Technology Demonstrator: TD2.1, TD2.3 and TD2.5 for passenger and freight rail.