Concerted Action on Logistics, Supply and Demand Chain Management
Due to the globalisation of economic activities and ongoing restructuring of business processes, new configurations of supply chains are emerging.
At present, the challenge is to develop innovative logistic configurations that generate efficiency gains and establish balanced transport use while reducing the negative external effects.
LOGICAT has the following objectives:
- to collect information on existing and new RTD Projects in the areas of logistics, supply chain management and their relation with integrated intermodal systems;
- to raise awareness and promote supply chain management;
- to promote the use of integrated intermodal systems and thus reduce traffic creating road congestion and the negative effects on the environment;
- to identify future research needs in the areas of logistics, supply chain management and the relationship with integrated intermodal systems;
- to design flow charts for the implementation of new logistic concepts.
The project will:
- collect information on RTD projects in areas of logistics, supply chain management and their relation with integrated intermodal systems;
- organise meetings and prepare support papers through the Technical Secretariat;
- set-up the Steering Committee, Mirror Group and Ad-hoc working groups;
- disseminate the findings to existing and proposed European member states
The main results concern Integration and policy development :
- information on finished, existing and future RTD Projects in the areas of logistics, Supply Chain Management and their relation with integrated intermodal systems have been collected;
- future research needs in the areas of logistics, Supply Chain Management and the relationship with Integrated intermodal systems have been identified;
- road maps for the implementation of the new logistics concepts have been designed;
- awareness has been raised and 'Supply Chain Management' has been promoted, to facilitate implementation within Europe;
- the use of integrated intermodal systems has been promoted.
LOGICAT will have an added value through the clustering exercise. The clustering will group together finalised, existing and proposed European and national (Member States) RTD projects as well as relevant U.S. RTD Projects with a European impact to enhance the effectiveness of logistics.