For the European railway, the dream of creating a system with all types of functionalities in a common platform is currently beyond reach. The EU-funded CONNECTA-2 project is working to change the status quo. It will focus on enhancing wireless technologies for the train control and management system – the brain of the train – integrating safety functions in the communication network and implementing a functional distribution framework for integrating appropriate safety levels. The project is also developing a simulation framework to virtualise the testing process and easily introduce new train functions. Integrating train functions in a centralised platform will help optimise safety and efficiency, while reducing operational costs.
Continuation project of CONNECTA (GA 730539) which targets the implementation and deployment in two laboratory demonstrators (for regional and urban segments) of the following technologies:
- Wireless TCMS, including wireless train backbone and wireless consist network
- NG-TCN including high safe (SIL4) communication networks to support the drive-by-data concept, including brake-by-wire.
- Functional Open Coupling (FOC)
- Functional Distribution Framework (FDF) instantiated with two different approaches (modified AUTOSAR and self-implemented on top of specific operating system), together with relevant application profiles
- The virtual certification simulation framework, with hardware-in-the-loop and remote connectivity to subsystems
The goal is to reach TRL5 in most developments.