The transnational public transport connections between West Hungary and the Burgenland do not exist in practice, although 8,000 workers and trainees are daily crossing the borders between Burgenland and Hungary.
Concrete proposals for the short-term establishment of appropriate cross-border bus connections between Westungarn and Burgenland have already been recommended in previous projects, but there are no proposals for rail traffic.
The objective of the project is to provide the feasibility studies, technical studies and cost-benefit analysis will be completed as part of the project "Grenzbahn" for the following sections:
- The restoration (construction and extension) of the Pinkatalbahn by Oberwart - Szombathely for freight transport and regional passenger transport
- The 2-track expansion of the Sopron - Ebenfurth line
For both routes, the technical and financial feasibility of the respective new or new extension was calculated and the meaningfulness of the investments is examined in the framework of a cost-benefit analysis.
Furthermore, a study on the regional economic effects of Oberwart-Szombathely traffic connection and a processing of an investment-stimulating programs along the Hungarian and Austrian route of "Ebenfuhrt-Sopron-Győr" traffic line are completed.
Within the scope of the project, the following tasks were achieved:
- Economic feasibility studies, technical studies, operating costs and cost-benefit analysis for the Oberwart-Szombathely and Sopron-Ebenfurth traffic routes
- Study on the regional economic effects of Oberwart-Szombathely traffic connection
- Processing of an investment-stimulating programs along the Hungarian and Austrian route of "Ebenfuhrt-Sopron-Győr" transport line
- Preparation of the final report with conclusions and recommendations as to the Hungarian and Austrian routes
- Preparation of the technical study and comparison of variants, definition of the course of the route (scenarios)
- Comparison of variations Regionalbahn - Stadtbahn, integration of the railway into the regional system
- Organization of 2 target group-oriented events
- Project Closing and Press Conference
The project provided feasibility study of t he new cross-border public transport connection.
The main policy objective is the support of public transport in cross-border regions.