Skip to main content
European Commission logo
TRIMIS

The Danish Transport System - Facts and Figures

PROJECTS
Funding
Denmark
Denmark icon
Duration
-
STRIA Roadmaps
Smart mobility and services (SMO)
Transport policies
Decarbonisation,
Societal/Economic issues
Transport sectors
Passenger transport,
Freight transport

Overview

Background & Policy context

Danish citizens make use of the transport system every day to travel to work and school as well, as they rely on it in their free time for transport. Danish businesses also depend on a well-functioning transport system to facilitate an efficient transport of goods and to enable them to compete on local as well as global markets. The Danish society is highly dependent on a well-integrated and modern infrastructure as well as efficient and reliable public transport to meet the demands of citizens and businesses. An efficient transport system is a key driver in establishing long term growth in Denmark and in Europe at large.

Objectives

The objective of the study was to bring the overview of the transport system in Denmark.

Funding

Funding Source
Ministry of Transport, Building and Housing

Results

Denmark is a relatively small country of approximately 43.000 km2 including more than 400 islands. A well connected transport system in Denmark is therefore dependent on several types of infrastructure solutions in order to achieve a high level of mobility that integrate all regions. 

Railway

The Danish railway network consist of 2667 km of railway of which 81 % is managed by Rail Net Denmark (Banedanmark). The railway network is extensive and integrates the hinterland regions into the main transport network. Rail Net Denmark oversees more than 2,000 km of railway tracks. 2,700 train departures are initiated every day amounting to almost one million trains a year on Danish railway tracks.

Road

Measured in kilometres, the road network is the most extensive type of transport infrastructure in Denmark. The total Danish Road Network consists of 73,574 km, of which 1,130 km are motorways. Approximately 5 % of all roads are state roads while the remaining 95 % are owned primarily by local municipalities.

Ports Denmark has more than 130 commercial ports of various sizes and areas of expertise from large scale shipping terminals engaged in international trade to small municipal ports serving the local industries. On the west coast of Denmark ports are generally located in areas of low population density, providing ample room for expansion. At the same time, however, they are faced with challenges of low water depths due to continuous pressure of natural erosion. In eastern parts of Denmark, the picture is generally reversed as water depth is often plentiful while many ports are situated near urban areas.

Airports In 2010, 26.6 million passengers arrived and departed at Danish airports. Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup), the largest airport in Scandinavia, is a central aviation connection point between Scandinavia and the rest of the world. Copenhagen Airport has approximately 140 destinations and is by far the busiest airport in Denmark carrying 80 % of all passengers in 2010.

Partners

Lead Organisation
EU Contribution
€0
Partner Organisations
EU Contribution
€0

Technologies

Contribute! Submit your project

Do you wish to submit a project or a programme? Head over to the Contribute page, login and follow the process!

Submit