Main roads are the roads of international communication in Lithuania. Though there are still (many) sections falling behind the requirements for international roads.
The main objective of this project – to reconstruct these sections and to ensure safe and convenient traffic conditions in conformity with the level of traffic volume, road significance and international standards. After completion of works foreseen in the strategic program for Trans European network road E28 Vilnius–Marijampolė, the infrastructure of roads connecting European transport corridors will be substantially improved.
It is anticipated that the benefit of E28 Vilnius–Marijampolė road reconstruction is as follows:
- better and higher quality road traffic conditions;
- reduced accident rate;
- reduced vehicle operating costs;
- strengthened road pavement structure;
- slower pavement degradation and longer pavement service life;
- lower costs of road repair and routine maintenance.
The Project includes:
- strengthening of road pavement – 17.56 km;
- strengthening and widening of road pavement – 48.70 km;
- construction of pedestrian – cycling paths – 3.02 km;
- construction of crossing – 1 unit;
- construction of crash barriers – 3.40 km;
- insulation of windows – in 93 houses;
- construction of wire net fencing – 23.67 km;
- implementation of water protection measures – 6 units;
- road illumination – 0.6 km;
- construction of underpasses for wild animals – 6 unit.