Additional TEN-T links make the important part of Lithuanian road network. They join the European transport corridors and also serve as transit roads. Due to the lack of funds the mentioned roads in the last decade have been developed episodically, paying the main attention to transport corridors. However, the traffic volume, including international traffic, has been increasing. There are still many sections falling behind the requirements for traffic volume and axle load.
The main objective of this project is to reconstruct these sections and to ensure safe and convenient traffic conditions in conformity with the level of traffic volume, road significance and international standards. Implementation of works planned in the Strategic Development Program of roads (E85 Lyda –Vilnius, E272 Vilnius–Panevėžys, E272 Panevėžys–Šiauliai and E272 Šiauliai–Palanga) will improve infrastructure of roads, linking the European transport corridors and will result in the following benefit:
- better and higher quality road traffic conditions;
- reduced accident rate;
- reduced vehicle operating costs;
- strengthened road pavement structure;
- slower pavement degradation and longer pavement service life;
- lower costs of road repair and routine maintenance;
- reduced negative environmental impact.
The Project includes:
- strengthening of road pavement – 70.24 km;
- strengthening and widening of road pavement – 45.65 km;
- reconstruction of bridge and viaducts – 4 units;
- construction of pedestrian – cycling paths – 12.00 km;
- construction of crossings – 2 units;
- construction of crash barriers – 1.19 km;
- insulation of windows – in 26 houses;
- construction of wire net fencing – 67.37 km;
- implementation of water protection measures – 1 unit;
- construction of underpasses for wild animals – 5 units.