The groundbreaking project is a joint initiative involving Volvo Car Group, the Swedish Transport Administration, the Swedish Transport Agency, Lindholmen Science Park and the City of Gothenburg. Drive Me is backed by the Swedish government. The aim is to study the benefits to society of autonomous driving and for Sweden and Volvo Cars to become a leader in sustainable mobility.
The Drive Me project will focus on a number of areas, including:
- How autonomous vehicles can generate social and economic benefits in the form of improvements in traffic flows, environment and safety.
- Infrastructure specifications for autonomous driving.
- Which traffic situations are appropriate for self-driving vehicles.
- The customer’s confidence in self-driving vehicles.
- How other drivers can be integrated with a self-driving car.
The project started in 2014 with customer surveys, technical advances and the development of user interfaces and cloud-based services. The first pilot cars will be launched on the streets of Gothenburg in 2017.
Read more about DriveMe