In this project a user-oriented Excel©-based tool for assessment of the risks caused by rock-falls on rock-fall protection galleries is developed. The bases for the establishment of a probabilistic model are the findings of the project  and the studies  and .
The project will face following crucial objectives:
Generic Bayesian-Networks will be developed. They facilitate the direct consideration of all available sites- and object specific information of the rock-fall hazard, of the characteristics of the traffic and the characteristics of the protection gallery.
To ensure the applicability of the risk analysis tool the Bayesian-Networks are implemented into a Microsoft-Excel© environment. The user therefore needs no specific knowledge of probabilistic modeling and the risk analysis can be efficiently performed.
The development of a generic Excel©-based tool for the risk analysis of rock-fall protection includes the following five sub-ordinate targets:
- Preliminary study and classification of all available information of the study „Simplon road A9 – Assessment of the rock-fall hazard of galleries, general inspection„  (in German).
- Determination of an appropriate level of detail for the risk analysis subject to the problem settings.
- Identification of all relevant parameters which should be considered in the risk analysis.
- Development of generic Bayesian-Networks for the risk assessment under consideration of all available information.
- User-oriented implementation of the methodology in Microsoft-Excel©.
Within the present research project a generic, probabilistic, Microsoft Excel®-based model is developed which allows calculating the risk due to rockfalls on rockfall protection galleries, taking
into account the site- and object-specific characteristics of the gallery, the slope, the geology and the road traffic.
Using the input of the special characteristics, the risk and the distribution of the risk are calculated – both in an aggregated form and separately for the different types of risks such as property damage or expected fatalities.
In particular the project worked out these two results:
- tool for determining risks
- the probabilistic model via Bayesian networks, which are linked to Excel ©.
List of references:
 SCHUBERT, M., FABER, M.H. (2007): BEURTEILUNG VON RISIKEN UND KRITERIEN ZUR FESTLEGUNG AKZEPT- IERTER RISIKEN IN FOLGE AUSSERGEWÖHNLICHER EINWIRKUNGEN BEI KUNSTBAUTEN, ENTWURFSVERSION 15.02.2008, BUNDESAMT FÜR STRASSENWESEN ASTRA, 306.
 FABER, M.H., KÖHLER, J. SCHUBERT, M., SABIOTE, E., FERMAUD, C., SCHEIWILLER A., (2007): METHODIK ZUR EINHEITLICHEN RISIKOBEURTEILUNG, ENTWURFSVERSION 10.01.2008, BUNDESAMT FÜR STRASSENWESEN ASTRA.
 JACQUEMOUD, J., PASQUIER, J.B. (2006): SIMPLONSTRASSE A9 - STEINSCHLAGGEFÄHRDUNG GALERIEN, GENERELLE ÜBERPRÜFUNG, PROJEKTDOSSIER 17.02.2006, DVBU/DSF/NATIONALSTRASSEN OBERWALLIS.
 JACQUEMOUD, J., PASQUIER, J.B. (2007): SIMPLONSTRASSE A9 – STEINSCHLAGSCHUTZ-MN,
ÜBERPRÜFUNG UND GENERELLES KONZEPT, PROJEKTDOSSIER 12.12.2007, DVBU/DSF/NATIONALSTRASSEN OBERWALLIS.