The action is the first of three actions comprising the Global Project ''FAMOS''. The Global Project aims to complete hydrographic surveying of the Baltic Sea according to the BSHC-HELCOM Scheme, thereby supporting sustainable and safe shipping in the Baltic Sea and contributing to Blue Growth in the region. The planned hydrographic surveys will also provide information that can be used for navigating vessels on routes with maximised water depth, optimising fuel efficiency and reducing the impact on environment.
The overall objective of the action is to implement the first stage of the finalisation of hydrographic surveying of the Baltic Sea according to the BSHC-HELCOM Scheme. The Action will specifically:
- Increase safety of navigation in the Baltic Sea through hydrographic surveying of approx. 34 000 km² of areas which have been identified as important for shipping activities;
- Update nautical products such as charts and Electronic Navigation Charts (ENC), based on the survey data produced;
- Produce bathymetry base data for future navigation applications, such as Sea Traffic Management or the next generation of Electronic Chart Display & Information System (ECDIS);
- Improve possibilities for accurate GNSS positioning at sea, through gravimetry measurements aiming at the computation of a highly accurate and quality-ensured geoid model before 2020.
- Start re-calculating vertical datum dependent chart data, such as charted soundings, depth contours or bridge clearings.