The Project LIGHT-TANK aimed to find out a way to produce oil tank and connection pipes in Thermoplastic Composites to be used in helicopter engine for the Gearbox system.
Different thermoplastics materials, need of reinforcement and processes were analysed to find out the cost effective way of producing such a components. When material and process were selected, part testing was carried out.
At last step prototypes were produced and tested, with the goal to arrive to show the feasibility in terms of technical specification, defined in the topic, and cost effectiveness to be then a real choice for weight saving and more environmental friendly solution.
The LIGHT-TANK projects was framed in the CLEANSKY program and it was intended to show manufacturing feasibility of some rotorcraft engine components
For this, the following steps were carried out:
- To select material and process for manufacturing prototypes of oil tank and pipes to show manufacturing feasibility;
- To perform redesign phase;
- To perform manufacturing of pipes and tank prototypes;
- To control the prototypes;
- To deliver to TM five prototypes of tank and 5 prototypes of pipes.