The research study points out the required parameters to exploit flexible project planning and to achieve flexible road-space. The whole project is based on three equally weighted aspects: paradigm, technical standards and process. The most important is the interaction between all three aspects regarding flexibility.
Recommendations for the planning process and technical units to create flexible traffic areas will be framed and it will be demonstrated how the findings can be integrated into existing technical standards.
The research study is focusing on flexibility in planning of streets and public spaces and flexible traffic areas. The study demonstrates how such operational, constructional and ecological free space can be created by diverging from so far usual technical standards and guidelines (for example speed, carriageway width). Moreover dispositions of advisable flexibility to adapt traffic areas to changing needs are displayed.
The research study answers the following questions:
- What does flexibility mean regarding the flexibility in planning of streets?
- What impact has the social paradigm shift on the planning process and on the application of technical standards?
- Which flexibility in planning based on smooth application and interpretation of the technical standards is already existing? Which technical standards and guidelines should be improved respectively to increase the flexibility of road-space?
- Which technical and operational units qualify to create flexible road-spaces?
- What kind of shortcomings are borne by the existing standardized planning processes? What are the success factors regarding the use of flexible project planning? Which process optimizations should be made?
The following methods will be used:
- Problem Analysis
- Case studies analysis
- Standardization of the Process itself
- Verification work
Corresponding key results are as follows:
- Flexibility within the space of the road.
- The shift in the planning process and the use of technical standards.
- Applying the correct interpretation of standards.
- The answer to the question: what are the weaknesses of today's standard planning processes, what are the success factors for the use of project examining and improving processes to be performed.
- Infrastructure is rapidly adapted to new developments, as well as appropriate service and structural elements.