The GAINN-IT global project mainly addressed LNG as an alternative fuel for both maritime and road transport. The Action GAIN4CORE contributed to the GAINN-IT Global Project as it aimed at defining two of the three Italian LNG grids (the Tyrrenic-Ligurian and the Adriatic-Ionic) including the following Core Ports:
- Genoa, La Spezia and Livorno (Tyrrenian-Ligurian grid);
- Ravenna and Venice (Adriatic-Ionic grid).
The objectives of the Action were:
- Defining all Italian LNG grids by 2030; for each Core Port provision will be made for alternative fuel infrastructure integrated at national level;
- Providing the core ports of Genoa, La Spezia, Livorno, Ravenna and Venice with engineering design studies for initial pilot infrastructures in order to store, distribute and refuel ships and other vehicles;
- Sharing results and information with organisations not participating directly in this Action via large scale communication events organised by GAINN4MOS (Action 2014-EU-0698-M);
- Coordinating with GAINN4MOS and with other relevant Actions;
- Meeting the needs and exploiting the potential of neighbouring regions (specially North African Countries).
The Action created a synergy effect by preparing Italian ports for LNG and by providing an alternative fuel to both ships and other vehicles.