SAR/Galileo system has achieved the required performances proposed in the previous GISAR FP6 project. The following reasonable step is the demonstration of the service to final customers using the complete architecture. The partners responsible for different components of the SAR/Galileo will ensure that demonstration covers the complete service.
The following points summarise the envisaged objectives to be accomplished during the GSARSED activities:
- Early Demonstration of the Forward and Return Link Service functionalities proposing a set of suitable scenarios. After this demonstration, the SAR/Galileo Service will become the first operative service of Galileo. These demonstration activities are based on the SAR community feedback from the SAR/Galileo RLS Survey Report.
- Interoperability has to be demonstrated with Intergovernmental SAR Satellite Systems (such as GPS/DASS or SAR/Glonass).
- Contribution to the Cospas-Sarsat MEOSAR Demonstration and Evaluation (D&E) Phase implementing a complete demonstration collection of the service.
- Integration of SAR/Galileo infrastructure in the Cospas-Sarsat MEOSAR Service. SAR/Galileo will offer considerable benefits to the global SAR service provided by the current Cospas-Sarsat system.
- Wide dissemination activity that implies the demonstration of service contributing to a gradual inclusion of navigation services and rescue operations based on Galileo infrastructure.
GSARSED will achieve these objectives thanks to the experience obtained from projects like GISAR FP6, and making use of the knowledge of the SAR/Galileo system and service. For analysing the FLS and RLS functionalities an incremental set of demonstrations will be performed. Previous operational prototypes, such as MEOLUT and RLSP prototypes, will be used in the early demonstration phases and FOC components will be integrated in the SAR/Galileo Service Demonstration.