Italy is the European leader for shipping companies in construction and repair shipyards and the worldwide leader for shipyards. There is a strong need at international level for more stringent environmental and workplace-safety requirements.
The SIS-PRECODE project aimed to
- Reduce resistance (fuel consumption) 1% 2%
- Reduce pollution thanks to environmental friendly coatings
- Optimise and standardise coating application & maintenance
- Secure time efficient verification and control of coating process
- Increase of shipyard personnel safety in the work place
The project was divided into 5 work packages:
- WP1 Hull & Appendages
- WP2 Hull and Superstructures (mega yacht)
- WP3 Internal tanks intended for food products in bulk (liquid and/or dry)
- WP4 Internal tanks chemicals and ballast water
- WP5 Mechanical attack-resistant coatings
The project achieved results in the following key areas:
For paint manufacturers, the project developed and validated on-field innovative new coating finishing and protection cycles in compliance with Owner demands and Technical, safety and environmental Rules and Regulations.
For the owners, more economical ship management was achieved (i.e. commercial speed not affected by the hull friction, less ship stop for hull cleaning, more environmental friendly ship).
For shipyards, it achieved more efficient employment of new technology and new coating finishing and protection cycles.
Finally, for classification society it allowed the development and calibration of a new set of Guidelines for the certification of all the coating finishing and protection cycles, from the surface preparation to the repair activities