The global ambition of MANIFICA is to set up the recycling chain of carbon fibre composites “from aeronautic waste to innovative composite parts”. The vision of MANIFICA is that high-quality recycled carbon fibre will drive the recycling industry towards economic value. The CF recycling sector is considered in a systemic approach by considering all aspects, from logistics, recycling, production of ready to use semi-products to new rCF based industrial demonstrators.
To do so, the MANIFICA consortium is made up of University of Bordeaux (I2M), 2 industrial leaders of carbon fibres and waste treatment: TORAY CFE, and PAPREC Group and one innovative composite materials SME: VESO Concept. Altogether they bring all the scientific, technical and industrial skills needed to achieve the ambitious MANIFICA objectives.
The objectives of MANIFICA completely fit the expectations of the call:
- Efficient and simple sorting scenario will be proposed, the need to sort (or not) during collection fibre types of by resin will be determined
- The sorting method will be applied and the waste will be collected in optimized logistics at an industrial level directly to the aeronautical industry in order to realize it under realistic and economically viable conditions.
- Reusing or recycling of outdated prepregs will be considered as scenarios for shelflife extension
- To convert recycled carbon fibres into innovative and easy to use semi-products, the reshaping process of University of Bordeaux will be upscaled
- The quality of the realigned rCF semi-products will be proved through industrial demonstrators (e.g. semi-structural part of aircraft interior and other sectors like railway or automofinaltive). In these parts, rCF composites will replace classic materials with performance gains
- Finally, LCI will be conducted directly at an industrial level for each step of the recycling process proposed.