The Public Transport company "Noordnet" wishes to increase the quality and service level, and reduce costs at the same time. In this project, a focus is on increasing the efficiency in the process of purchasing tickets. Knowledge needs to be developed in the field of technique, organisation and business case to determine if a mobile ticketing process can be implemented in public transport.
Objectives in the field of knowledge are:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office' />
- Gain insight in societal effects of new services in public transport;
- Provide a first glance at standardisation activities that might become necessary;
- Improve demand-based mobility services by using travel behaviour.
Objectives for the public transport company are:
- Increasing the service level by offering a possibility to travellers to purchase their tickets anywhere at anytime;
- Reduce costs by optimising the process of ticketing and payment;
- Improve the accessibility and quality of information for the travellers;
- Gain insight in profiles and habits of frequent travellers (Customer Relationship Management).
The project is a mix of pilot and research activities. The pilot consists of three train lines and one bus line in the North of the Netherlands. One hundred travellers are testing a system of virtual ticketing. During the pilot, as much as possible data are collected about technique, mobile data traffic, proof against fraud, reliability of the voice recognition system, the experiences of controllers and travellers, their behaviour and their opinions.
Six work packages are defined:
- Organisation & Evaluation;
- System development & ICT Infrastructure;
- Marketing, communication & PR;
- Business Analyses;
- Added Value services;
- Payment structure.