The topic covers the major aspects of wave dynamics and impact on coastal processes and engineering structures, from wave generation and propagation to wave-coast and wave-structure interaction, and the related mathematical background.
The particular focus of the research is on:
- the properties of waves of different kind (wind waves, long-wave phenomena, surge and internal waves) in the Baltic, spatio-temporal variations in the wave climate along the Estonian coasts;
- the role of surface waves in marine-induced hazards and coastal zone management;
- fundamental wave science (rogue waves, nonlinear interactions, runup, wave mathematics);
- analysis, modelling and forecast of wave-driven coastal processes for the Estonian coasts, the reaction of the coast to changing wave conditions and associated economic consequences;
- applications for coastal engineering and management (express methods for wave loads, novel technologies for coastal protection, wave energy).