The topic covers the major aspects of wave dynamics and impact on coastal processes and engineering structures, from wave generation and propagation to wave-coast and wave-structure interaction, and the related mathematical background.
The particular focus of the research is on:
- the properties of waves of different kind (wind waves, long-wave phenomena, surge and internal waves) in the Baltic, spatio-temporal variations in the wave climate along the Estonian coasts;
- the role of surface waves in marine-induced hazards and coastal zone management;
- fundamental wave science (rogue waves, nonlinear interactions, runup, wave mathematics);
- analysis, modelling and forecast of wave-driven coastal processes for the Estonian coasts, the reaction of the coast to changing wave conditions and associated economic consequences;
- applications for coastal engineering and management (express methods for wave loads, novel technologies for coastal protection, wave energy).
Ministry of Education and Research
Tallinna Tehnika Uelikool
Ehitajate tee 5, 19086 TALLINN, Estonia
Technology for predicting critically high waves