Nacelle cowl NExt generation Opening System
NNEOS (Nacelle cowl NExt generation Opening System)
NNEOS project is born to enable the use of new engines architectures like the UHBR (Ultra-High Bypass Ratio) that require shorter and slimmer nacelles and as a result a new approach to maintainability and accessibility of the engine.
Main objectives of the project:
- Improve safety and accessibility to engine zones for maintenance/reparation through the development of an electromechanical actuator that integrates the functionalities of opening/closing the cowls as well as holding them at the open position during maintenance task;
- Optimize weight and dimensions with a design that favours the integration within the nacelle available space envelope;
- At a system level, provide a potential reduction for the volume required for the equipment by 15%;
- At a system level, the aim is to achieve a 10% weight reduction associated to the system and connections when compared to the current systems being used;
- Contribute to the reduction of the development time of the future engine architectures by 10%, through the optimisation of system integration for the power plant systems Provide a friendly design that is easy to use but ensures a safe operation of the nacelles;
- Bring the technology to TRL6.