The ROLL2RAIL project aims to develop key technologies and to remove already identified blocking points for radical innovation in the field of railway vehicles, as part of a longer term strategy to revolutionise the rolling stock for the future.
The high level objectives of the work are to pave the way to:
- Increase the capacity of the railway system and bring flexibility to adapt capacity to demand
- Increase availability, operational reliability and therefore punctuality of the vehicles
- Reduce the life cycle costs of the vehicle and the track
- Increase the energy efficiency of the system
- Improve passenger comfort and the attractiveness of rail transport
Specific developments are proposed the scope of ROLL2RAIL:
- Basis of a radically new traction technology based on emerging electronic components leading towards more energy-efficient traction, which is lighter and more reliable while reducing the noise emitted
- New wireless technology applied to train control functionalities will allow more flexible coupling to increase line capacity
- Carbody solutions based on lightweight composite materials to reduce weight
- A way of quantifying the life-cycle cost impact of new technological solutions for running gear
- Knowledge database of the variety of requirements in Europe for the braking systems to bring down barriers to step-change innovation in this area
- Standardised methodologies for assessing attractiveness and comfort from the passenger’s point of view
- Methodology for noise source separation techniques allowing implementation of novel and more efficient noise mitigation measures
It is also the objective of ROLL2RAIL to serve as a preparation for a fast and smooth start-up of the large scale initiative SHIFT2RAIL. All ROLL2RAIL results will ultimately lead to demonstration in real vehicles or relevant environments in SHIFT2RAIL.