NEEDED responds to the second and third bullets of the “expected outcome” of the HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-12 topic, delivering the next generation data-driven reference European models and methods to estimate present and future aircraft emissions (pollutants and noise), achieving TRL 4 at the end of the project. To do so, NEEDED will advance the state of the art by:
- improving the accuracy of the reconstruction of aircraft operations by using real-world ADS-B data,
- advancing emission inventories for current and future aircraft technologies, while delivering more accurate pollution dispersion models,
- extending the applicability of the ECAC Doc 29 noise model towards future aircraft technologies,
- performing more accurate estimation of the number of people affected by local air transport operations by using dynamic population maps.
These activities are complemented by:
- local air quality (LAQ) and experimental noise measurements performed at Rotterdam Airport,
- validation of the NEEDED toolchain in a 30-week pilot study involving three airports, and
- delivery of a methodology to optimise the flight patterns for minimum detrimental impact on the population in present and future scenarios.
The project aims to function as a technology enabler, laying the methodological groundwork for facilitating the entry into service of transformative aircraft technologies while capitalising on the potential of ADS-B data. NEEDED ensures its impact on the next generation of Air Traffic Management (ATM) regulation and policies through the direct involvement of EUROCONTROL.