Non Hit Car and Truck project is an extension of "Non Hit Car project proposal" previously defined by Volvo Cars in 2008-2009. The project has focused on jointly developed technologies to reduce accident risks for both passenger cars and commercial vehicles and particularly address the situations at which today’s active safety systems are not yet sufficient.
To reach the goals brand new and improved safety functions with real-life benefits need to be invented across the whole safety domain, ranging from strategic drive to in-crash activities.
The Non-hit Car and Truck project aims to support:
- Volvo Cars' 2020 safety vision, which states that by 2020 no one should be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo Car
- The Volvo Group vision of zero accidents with Volvo products.
The project had four main work packages:
- Project Management
- Threat Assessment and Decision making
- System Design
Result Non Hit Car and Truck:
- Sensor Fusion framework that support current existing sensors technology
- 360-degree view of the environment
- New function independent threat assessment called" Manoeuvre Generator" that creates collision-free escape paths for complex traffic scenarios
- Demonstrator vehicle with the technologies/findings deployed/visualized