Novel Integration of Powerplant System Equipment
The main objectives of NIPSE are to provide technologies to:
- reduce Integrated PowerPlant System development time of future aero engines by 10%
- enable the 2 to 3% environmental related gains in fuel burn and reduction in emissions looked at by these new aero engine architectures (especially Ultra High Bypass Ratio and Open Rotor) through improved aero engine equipment solutions.
The objectives will be achieved through several elements. NIPSE will develop key equipment and capabilities, in particular:
- multivariable optimisation methodologies,
- more efficient heat exchangers,
- smaller equipment, and
- novel electrical and pneumatic interconnections to enable a means of developing better competitive solutions for future aero engine architectures in a shorter development time.
This will be performed taking into account line maintenance issues to ensure the improvements of aero engine architecture and associated equipment do not adversely impact the passenger experience.
This is relevant to the work programme in increasing competitiveness of European companies through development of technologies to achieve fast, best solution approaches for installation of aero engine equipment, allowing securement and enhancement of existing European workload for this equipment, and enhancing exports for Europe.
Development of key technology in equipment definition, installation and optimisation enables existing and future aero engine technologies to better achieve their goals, thus enhancing European competitiveness within aero engine market.
Without NIPSE, the true potential of the new aero engine architectures will not be achieved and societal gains will not be met.