Open network of hyper connected logistics clusters towards Physical Internet
“If we want to reach the EU objective on modal shift for all transportation beyond 300 km and attract and strengthen competitiveness of local industries at the same time, we need to drive the development of a network of hyper connected logistics multimodal clusters and their influence areas”. Clusters 2.0 Consortium
Clusters 2.0. vision is to leverage the full potential of European Logistics Clusters for an efficient and fully integrated transport system in Europe making optimal use of an Open Network of Logistics Clusters and hubs starting with. Zaragoza (PLAZA), Duisburg (Duisport), Lille (Dourges), Bologna-Trieste (Interporto/port of Trieste), Brussels (BruCargo), London (Heathrow), Pireaus (PCT), Trelleborg (Port), while keeping neutral the environmental and local impacts such as congestion, noise, land use and local pollution levels.
Cluster 2.0 objectives and areas of intervention are:
1) Increase the engagement, performance and coordination of terminals and hubs at cluster level targeting:
- increase by 50% the freight managed in the cluster with current infrastructure,
- Double the value added activities and
- increase economic impact in local economies by 5% yearly while keeping neutral local environmental impacts.
2) Build a hyper connected network of logistics hubs and clusters targeting:
- increase average door-to-door vehicle load factor up to 75%,
- increase intermodal transport in the network by 40%.
3) Develop low cost, low capital and investment intensive transhipment enhanced solutions to reduce operational costs of transhipment by 30 %.
4)Develop prototypes of New Modular Load Units as enhancers of the above objectives.
5) Develop terminal management systems to increase management capacity of the terminals by 20% and reduce associated congestion by 10%.
6) Establish and run 5 Living Labs (LLs) to test, improve and validate proposed solutions as well as to and Develop Business Models and Robust Business Plans for Clusters 2.0 solutions.