Performance improvement for vehicles on track
PIVOT takes the Roll2Rail Lighthouse project and addresses mechanical systems within rail vehicles: Carbodies, Running Gear, Brakes, Entry Systems and Interiors including the Cab.
With seven technical WPs, it uses a system engineering approach, giving innovations tangible context considering real interface constraints. It includes specific, trackable, relevant, achievable and motivating quick wins which focus attention and drive home innovation.
- WP1 explores the materials, joining techniques and manufacturing for innovative carbodies. It seeks to develop a risk-assessed demonstrator specification.
- WP2 develops conceptual carbody components for alternative materials. It includes structural/non-structural assessments, FMECA and a sustainability assessment of facets like reparability and recyclability.
- WP3 focusses on smart solutions for running gear considering functions such as health monitoring and active suspension systems. These include new sensor system architecture and affordable hardware providing sufficient reliability and robustness.
- WP4 addresses running gear performance more generally. It seeks to develop a common technical specification, to innovatively use both new and existing materials and to scope the authorisation demands arising.
- WP5 progresses innovations such as electronics with high Safety Integrity Levels, eddy current brakes, new friction pairs, electro mechanical brake solutions and virtual certification.
- WP6 covers entry systems with themes including gap fillers, door entry surveillance, solutions for Persons of Reduced Mobility and performance improvement through mass reduction, improved insulation and higher acoustic attenuation.
- WP7 deals with modular interiors both for passenger spaces and cabs and aims make vehicle reconfiguration easier. Topics include flexible systems for adjusting tables, seat, luggage racks and the general décor, and ‘plug and play’ systems within the driver’s cab.
Aernnova Aerospace S.A.U., Spain
FUNDACION PARA LA INVESTIGACION, DESARROLLO Y APLICACION DE MATERIALES COMPUESTOS, Spain
FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION, Spain
ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA, France
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A., Spain
DEUTSCHE BAHN AG, Germany
CP - COMBOIOS DE PORTUGAL EPE, Portugal
FAIVELEY TRANSPORT TOURS SAS, France
KNORR-BREMSE SYSTEME FUR SCHIENENFAHRZEUGE GMBH, Germany
NETWORK RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE LIMITED, United Kingdom
SIEMENS AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT, Germany
SNCF MOBILITES, France
PATENTES TALGO SL, Spain
TRAFIKVERKET - TRV, Sweden
Kompetenzzentrum - Das Virtuelle Fahrzeug, Forschungsgesellschaft mbH, Austria