In Burgenland and Styria, the cycling network has been greatly expanded over recent decades. Cycling is a key focus in these federal states.
In Hungary, cycling networks are only just being built. The integration of the Szombathely city into the interregional and cross-border cycling path system is not yet available. The opening of the border and the use of different - partly low-traffic - border crossings makes it possible to link the route systems more bilaterally. A development, coordination, consolidation and reinforcement of tourism infrastructure and marketing is required. The initiative of the cycle path Iron Curtain at the European level is also an occasion for bilateral coordination of the bicycle offer. The topic of cycling for pleasure is not yet developed across borders. Bicycle offers are not available on a cross-border basis.
The main objective of the project is the positioning of pleasure cycling in the cross-border region through the development and marketing of market-oriented cycling paths and quality assurance measures.
Within the scope of the project, the following tasks were achieved:
- Development of cycling infrastructure in the border region (realization of a cycle path at Narda, signposting, design of bicycle border crossings)
- Development of a sustainable organizational model for the management of the bicycle industry
- Development of natural, cultural tourist attractions
- Increase in overnight stays and tourism value added in the project area through the development of cycling offers
- Attraction of the interest of of the inhabitants in the project area on the subject of pleasure cycling
- Development of a joint marketing strategy to promote the positioning of pleasure cycling
The policy objective is to support the cross-border cycling transport.