PREparation for DRIVing implementation and Evaluation of C-2-X Communication technology
The negative externalities of increasing urban mobility such as increasing congestion, environmental and safety impacts are core issues among the EU research themes. The PRE-DRIVE C2X project, developing an integrated simulation model for cooperative systems, will enable a holistic approach for estimation of the expected benefits in terms of safety, efficiency and environment.
The project set out to create the link between the technological building blocks and market deployment of future mobility systems for people and goods that will be safe, efficient and clean.
Based on the overall description of a common European architecture for an inter-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication system PRE-DRIVE C2X developed a detailed system specification and a working as well as functionally verified prototype. It is robust enough to be used in future field operational trials of cooperative systems. Furthermore PRE-DRIVE C2X developed an integrated simulation model for cooperative systems, which, for the first time, enabled a holistic approach for estimation of the expected benefits in terms of safety, efficiency and environment.
This work was topped of by the development of tools and methods necessary for functional verification and testing of cooperative systems in laboratory environment, on test tracks and on real roads in the framework of a field operational test. These were applied to the PRE-DRIVE C2X prototype system to verify its proper functioning and to perform a limited impact assessment including a user-friendliness test. Last but not least extensive dissemination activities were carried out in order to communicate the benefits of cooperative systems vehicle technology to the public and to address all relevant European stakeholders.
- Specification and prototypical implementation of a European architecture for cooperative systems based on COMeSafety architecture description.
- Realisation of hardware and software components robust enough for testing in field operational trials.
- Proving system interoperability with demonstration vehicles and radio modules from different partners.
- Development and verification of tools and procedures for field operational testing.
- Realisation of an integrated simulation toolset to assess safety, traffic and environmental impact of C2X communication technology and to upscale the results to the European level.
- Description of viable business models and implementation strategies for cooperative Systems technology in Europe
PRE-DRIVE C2X actively contributes to all relevant European standardisation activities in the field of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) to push forward the implementation of vehicular communication technology in Europe.
Innovating for the future: technology and behaviour