This project is about creating a platform for enhancing aeronautics and air transport research and development (R&D) cooperation between the EU and South-Africa. It also explore the potential for, and where appropriate, promoting the participation of other African countries in such a platform.
The overall objectives for AEROAFRICA are:
- to explore the potential for enhancing cooperation through an analysis (mapping) of aeronautics and air transport R&D cooperation between the EU and South-Africa, as well as other African countries;
- to develop and enhance networks and partnerships between EU, South-Africa and other African researchers and African organisations, in identified technical themes ideally suited for mutually beneficial aeronautics and air transport R&D cooperation;
- to promote South-Africa and African participation in the aeronautics and air transport activities of FP7 through focused information and advisory services;
- to establish an aeronautics and air transport R&D policy dialogue between the EU and South-Africa, as well as other African partners, so as to also support economic and development cooperation;
The proposed AEROAFRICA initiative represents the first attempt to significantly capture the aeronautics and air transport capabilities and needs of the EU and South-Africa in a complementary manner, useable as qualitative tools to enhance further co-operation.
AEROAFRICA's success and impact assessment will be based on:
- an overall increase in FP7 participation by the South-Africa and identified African aeronautics research communities;
- success in bringing about increased networking and partnering in the aeronautics R&D community, measured by determining the greater extent of FP7 consortium arrangements, and range and number of EU partner organisations with which South-Africa and identified African countries collaborate;
- the extent to which cooperative relationships are leveraged through joint identification of needs and priorities for collaboration.
The results of this project will be:
- enhanced networking and partnering in theaeronautics R&D community, specificallyfacilitating external communication andraising awareness. Workshops hosted inEurope and in Africa are utilised to showcasethis project and European/Africanresearch projects;
- improved collaboration between EU and SA/African countries.
- increased participation in FP7 by SA andAfrican aeronautics researchers. The projectprovided assistance and information onthe functioning of FP7, and offer access toknowledge and expertise to aid successfulparticipation in FP7;
- leveraged co-operative relationshipsthrough the joint identification of needs andpriorities.
AeroAfrica-EU acted as a facilitator for African aeronautics and airtransport R&D players to participate in FP7 consortia.Call analysis workshops are held periodicallyto create awareness around FP7, provide anoverview of AeroAfrica-EU as well as FP7 projectprocesses and the Department of Science andTechnology’s (DST) supporting instruments (FPSeed Funding and FP Strategic Co-investment).
4. The external dimension
The results of this project have already been implemented by:
- South African landscape mapping
- Online database and catalogue
- Profiling at key local and European events
- Identifying areas for collaboration
- FP7 awareness raising, information and assistance on participating inFP7, linkages to consortium partnering opportunities