Promoting Innovation in the Inland Waterways Transport Sector
This proposal is for the creation of a Research and Innovation Action aimed at advancing innovation in the Inland Waterway Transport (IWT) sector (topic MG.4.4-2014). It is called “PROMINENT – Promoting Innovation in the Inland Waterways Transport Sector” and will address the key needs for technological development, as well as the barriers to innovation and greening in the European inland navigation sector. PROMINENT is thereby fully in line with the objectives of the European action programme NAIADES-II. PROMINENT addresses all topics included in call MG.4.4-2014 and is geared towards reaching its full impacts during the project lifetime.
PROMINENT is ultimately aimed at providing solutions which make inland navigation as competitive as road transport in terms of air pollutant emissions by 2020 and beyond. In parallel PROMINENT aims to further decrease the energy consumption and carbon footprint of IWT, an area where IWT has already a strong advantage compared to road transport. PROMINENT will focus on:
- Massive transition towards efficient and clean vessels.
- Certification and monitoring of emission performance and development of innovative regimes
- Harmonisation and modernisation of professional qualifications and the stimulation of the further integration of IWT into sustainable transport chains.
PROMINENT will achieve the following targets:
- develop cost-effective solutions applicable to 70% of the fleet and reduce the implementation costs by 30%;
- involve all relevant stakeholders;
- actively address and remove implementation barriers by 2020.
The PROMINENT partners have found broad support among political and commercial decision makers in the field of inland navigation. Through its direct access to relevant industrial stakeholders and Member States the consortium has obtained significant backup needed to perform the work. The commitment of these organisations will lead to a high acceptance and further dissemination of results.