The aim of the project is to develop a complex system that allows active control of adhesion in rail transport by means of top-of-rail application of friction modifier into wheel and rail contact. The system includes a modular dispensing unit, an intelligent system for autonomous controll and friction modifier as a component that enables change of contact adhesion.
Implementation of this system into operation will bring:
• optimization of coefficient of adhesion, which will reduce wear of wheels and rails-
• stabilization of adhesion level causing reduction of negative impacts of natural contaminants in contact-
• positive adhesion characteristics, thanks to which noise and lateral forces will be reduced.
The system will be implemented in two versions:
1. on-board system for adaptive control of adhesion under current conditions-
2. off-board system for controlling the adhesion locally in a given track place. Implementation of the system will reduce operating costs by reducing wear and will reduce negative impacts of rail transport in conurbation, especially in terms of noise pollution. It is important for ensure a sustainable development of rail transport, which is key factor of competitiveness of each country.