Background & Policy context
The objectives of the project were as follows.
- For Stage 1:
- Collate information on flooding incidents that occurred on HA trunk roads between October and December 2000;
- Identify common factors causing the flooding and compare actual conditions with drainage requirements in current HA guidance documents.
- For Stage 2:
- To review the advice contained in the existing HA documentation;
- To develop and produce an HA guidance document on how to assess and deal with runoff draining to roads from natural catchments;
- To produce an HA guidance document on the hydraulic design of culverts;
- To produce recommendations on improved maintenance methods and procedures for highway drainage systems.
The study was divided in two stages:
- A review of flooding incidents on the HA network between October and December 2000, and
- The production of supplementary guidance on the design and maintenance of highway drainage systems that will serve to increase the resilience of the HA network.
Type of funding