Maintenance work is essential to keep the motorway network operational. However works may increase the risk for the travelling public as well as placing workers in potentially hazardous situations. For many years the safety performance of works has been monitored on a regular basis and this project aims to provide data on the current situation. This data can be used to help in decisions with respect to future guidance on maintenance operations.
The work required has five main objectives:
- To establish the accident rate and severity split at major road works sites on motorways, and compare this with the rate in the absence of works;
- To compare accidents occurring at sites with and without speed cameras;
- To examine the location of accidents in relation to features of the traffic management scheme;
- To estimate accident rates at road works in a form suitable for use in QUADRO;
- To establish accident risk factors for use in the risk assessments.