Study of possible propulsion systems for the Ziller Valley Railway away from diesel-powered variants
Original Language Title: Untersuchung möglicher Antriebsysteme für die Zillertalbahn abseits dieselgetriebener Varianten
The Zillertaler Verkehrsbetriebe AG (ZVB) and the government of Tyrol are working for some time on the future strategic orientation of the Zillertalbahn. In the year 2015 a study was prepared which has examined possible strategic actions and should work as basis of decision making on future investments. The Zillertalbahn will persist as narrow-gauge railway, however, it is the purpose of this proposal to clarify, which of the possible electric traction concepts shall be pursued in the future.
Based on different operational concepts of the Zillertalbahn, this study will analyse the feasible solution options, in detail:
- Train concepts (multiple units, locomotive-hauled trains, number of wagons, etc.)
- Different traction concepts: Energy supply by a. catenary b. accumulator stacks c. accumulator stacks with supercapacitors d. fast charging concepts with intermediate charging e. fuel cell with additional energy storage
- Effects of the choice of technology on the infrastructure (charging stations, etc.)
- Reconstruction concepts of the existing rolling stock
- Analysis of life-cycle-costs (LCC).
The focus of this proposal will be laid on following technical aspects:
- Technical implementation of the traction concepts (necessary masses and volumes for the energy storages, etc.) based on the special needs of the Zillertalbahn as a narrow-gauge railway
- Electrical and mechanical system-integration of the energy storages and the energy generating systems
- Life-time calculation of all regarded technical systems
- Energy-optimised control in train operation