The need to unify and integrate the research on climate friendly transport and mobility.
React project scope is to act as a driving force for coordinating, supporting and strengthening the RTD area on climate-friendly transport and mobility so as to avoid spillage of funding resources and achieve integration of funding opportunities at European level, in relation to mitigation of greenhouse emissions from transport.
The REACT project has the following concrete actions:
- To develop a common set of indicators for the carbon impact of the transport research.
- Exchange of experience among research program managers in the Member States, Associated States and EC. Identification of the national and regional initiatives and research programs on climate-friendly transport and mobility, in to identify opportunities for stakeholders and researchers.
- Articulate a long term vision and a Strategic Future Research Agenda on climate-friendly transport that will contribute to the development of a European strategy on the issue.
- To improve synergies between Member States, Associated States and EU RTD Agenda on climate-friendly transport and mobility by enhancing coordination of funded research initiatives among EC and national agencies.
- Organise a set of focused dissemination activities that will enhance the impact of research outcomes from EC funded projects to the highest degree. Coordination with the activities of ERANET-Transport.
The Strategic Reseach Agenda (SRA) containing the main research areas that fulfil the goal of climate-friendly transport. Each identified sector provides different research approaches.
The main research areas are classified according to:
- Engineering and ICT
- Planning, Social and Economy
Based on expert consultation the research areas were ranked as follows:
- Non-conventional hybrid systems
- Non-motorised mobility planning
- Full electrical vehicles
- Hydrogen distribution inrfastructure
- Vehicle energy management
- Integration of Spatial Planning, Urban Planning, Transportation Planning and Economic Policies
- Supply chain, route planning, avoidance of empty trips
- Public transport planning
- Airframe aerodynamics
- Design for environment and recycling
Supporting the Public funded initiatives
- Mapping existing initiatives and programs for climate-friendly transport
- Benchmarking funding procedures
Except fromt he funding initiatves, the project developed indicators for carbon impact in order to define the carbon reduction potetnial of measures in the transport sector. In further, a systematic indicator approach for CO2 reduction potential and impact assessment was developed as well as guidelines for data acquisition.
The project also provided an exploitation results plan (which are and how to use the project results). In detail, the plan consists of an integrated exploitation approach (combining the accumulative knowledge and expertise of the project partners) and a partner-specific exploitation plan indicating exploitation strategies.
The project has provided a plan for using its results.